Misery loves company, (make do mentality)

Yesterday, I celebrated my 25th birthday. The older I get from  my perspective, I feel like I need to continue to develop myself as a human being, I want to be financially stable, be great at my profession.  Getting older also means the pressures of settling down rears its ugly head. No matter where you live in the world, as a young person you will feel pressure from those around you to settle down, get married and have multiple children.  I think however in my society the social convention of getting married is quite unique and sometimes baffling to me.  With the recession and financial hardships plaguing other countries such as United States or countries in Europe, people are making the decision to settle down later in life.  From my perspective that seems like a reasonable choice. It brings me to my point.

I am young, I am ambitious but I would  be naive if I thought I could manage a family where I stand. I am not in a financially stable place in my life as yet. Yet when I state this to many people, it is like I started speaking pig Japanese. They simply cannot comprehend my world view. When I  pose them questions about how I am to support a family, the response is always something along the lines of "You will make do." Is this how we are to survive? Is this how we run our lives. We will make do, Why purposely put yourself in a financial hole? Is having a husband or a wife and a child so important that it needs to be done right away? Of course there is biologically a window to have healthy children but why is this pressure being forced onto women under the age of 25 as if you will sudden become barren after that. 

This also brings to focus a discussion I often have with one of my best friends. Almost every day her mother reminds her that when she was her age, she had my best friend and was married. According to my best friend those decisions are why her mother is now miserable. As my other best friend stated "Its just a vicious cycle it is like I catch my ass when I was young so you have to catch your ass too. What kind of legacy is that?" Is it that misery loves company? More than once I have been working or walking down the street or generally in the company of an older person. While a few praise me for pursuing my education and wanting to better myself, an overwhelming majority make comments such as "So why you don't go make baby. You wasting time?" Sometimes I am around people and its like everyone else is at fault for the decisions they make including the said children.

Why is this make do mentality so favorable? Why it being promoted? 

Comments

  1. Historically, a married woman's social position was higher than an unmarried one regardless of income. This archaic philosophy has trickled down to modern society so much so that if you're an intelligent, attractive young woman sans at least a husband if not a husband and a baby then your inability to snag a man becomes your inherent flaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I look at this way if marriage is your goal, it shouldn't be something just to have, to say I am married.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts