The Dark side of YouTube and the beauty community.

There is an old age adage that says "Beauty is only skin deep".  I have often heard it over the years. I thought I understood it. It wasn't until July 2014, that its words really to life for me. July 2014 was the beginning of my journey as a member of the beauty community on Youtube.

I will admit before I even placed a camera in front my face, I was well aware of the drama that ensues in this community. However, I didn't expect this negativity to hit close to home. When I mean home, I didn't expect this to be part of my beautiful Trinidad and Tobago beauty community. I thought we were above that sort of behavior.

Now, when deciding to create a Youtube channel you have to fully aware of the negative individuals that may come in your path. When I joined I expected to get dislikes. However I was shocked and horrified that these dislikes came from people from my own country. There was a period of time that, before I even got a notification stating that I uploaded videos, (my personal channel is subscribed to my makeup channel so when I uploaded a video to my makeup channel I receive a notification on my phone) that I would have sometimes two dislikes but no views. At first I honestly thought maybe my quality wasn't good enough. I began watching other local Youtubers to see if I could get pointers but I didn't see anything I did that was so different. I became despondent quite rapidly.  It was when I visited a fellow beauty page that I saw the same individuals who commented negatively on my status, giving praise to that individual for the same topic. I started to realize that some people were pinning us against each other. My friends began telling me that there are people who will berate you for what you do but praise others for doing the same thing. I was baffled by that. It even happened when I was told to improve my lighting and how my videos were good. I didn't take that as constructive criticism because the individual who said it comments on another Youtubers videos about how great they are and those are so dark it might as well be black and blue (not white and gold haha).
I till this day don't understand the need for that. Bear with me, I am not saying you have to like every Youtuber, maybe my personality and yours don't mesh, however I don't understand the need to comment "You always hauling" but then go on someone else's page and praise them for their hauls and asking them to do more. It is as if some people are hell bent on bringing others down for no legitimate reason at all.

As you can see I don't mince words. I am honest and direct. I speak the truth from my perspective.  I say this because what I am going to say next, not everyone is going to like.
So the last few months of 2014, I decided to join a couple Facebook groups dedicated to different aspects of beauty. The good is that I made some  friends. Here comes the bad. From the very first day I got the feeling that I had gone back in time and I was transported back into high school. Both groups I felt that there were girls who were quite knowledgeable about the beauty industry, however instead of being humble about it and willing to share their insight these women (I am being kind by calling them that) were snobby and down right rude. I believe constructive criticism is great, it fosters learning. However these women were downright rude. They say how you carry about yourself can be an indication of class and education, if that is true,  Lord knows these women need to take a class or two on how to speak to others. How you speak to others can make or break you. The way they spoke to other members of the group Pennywise would be the ideal place for them to work.
I don't understand the need for this attitude. I may not be the best at application but many Muas would be surprised at the knowledge that I possess. I study makeup and beauty like I study human psychology. Yet I am willing to be of assistance to  anyone who asks. Some of these women aren't even formally trained. They watch Youtube just like the rest of us yet they are put on a pedestal by others and they clearly like that position. All I have to say is God humbles those who can't humble themselves. In some cases He sends me to do it (lol) and you know I have no problem telling people exactly what I think of them.  It is one of my greatest  character traits (haha).

I have met many members of the beauty community in Trinidad and Tobago who for the most part, my fellow Youtubers have always been loving and kind women. Roannavm has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. I always admire them.  The first time I saw Rosie Ann she said hello to me while I was working. Before she introduced herself, I was like who is this stunning girl speaking to me. The camera doesn't do her justice. Neither does it do Eshe either. She is so polished and kind. Rhea how can you not love Rhea Ross of  Makeup Haven. People often say Trinidad and Tobago has the most beautiful women in the world and from what I have seen this may be indeed true

There is more I wish to share. However that will be for another time.



Comments

  1. I am loving your blogs lol you have me blushing lol but on a different note I'm sadden by the drama if only we could work together and build the TRINI youtube community n not break it down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts