The Dark side of Youtube and the beauty community Part 2



I had already planned to write a part two to my first post on this topic. I didn't think it would be so soon. Today I came across a post from my fellow local Youtuber Roanavm. A person left a rather rude remark that in all honesty, only reflected poorly on that individual and not Roanna herself.
Btw: Why do people leave shady comments and it is so difficult to understand? It is like English is their tenth language. I am not the English police and we all make mistakes, however as someone studying psychology I often wonder if these people who write comments like that suffer from mental retardation, dyslexia or some kind of learning disability.  I am not trying to be mean but it is a valid question. Every time I see comments like that it usually takes me like a good three (3) to four (4) minutes to decipher what it is the person is trying to say before I can even respond.


Anyway, in her response Roanna noted that the local community is not very supportive of each other.  I have to agree with this. People watch your videos then chastise you for making them. Comments like "You have to time to waste if you make so many videos. I can't keep up." "Why do you buy so much makeup, you have money to waste?" Addressing the first comment, many Youtubers locally and foreign as well, make videos in multiple. So a week's filled of videos sometimes takes no more than hour. If you plan and organize you can make time. I have spare time so I can make videos till the cows come home. If I am wasting my time, why does that affect you? There are people who beg to differ. In fact I am friends with sales clerks in many beauty stores and they say that products sell rather quickly after local Youtubers spread the word about these products. So what is the problem that some people have? If I have one hundred (100) hours to make videos, why does this bother you so much? My only explanation  for this phenomenon is  BITTERNESS. Many people I have heard making comments like this have children, either are single mothers or in relationships with men who aren't very supportive, have jobs they rather not have. For them it is like you are lucky and they are the victim (Read my first post on The jealous friend). I battled so many negative situations, yet that never made me bitter towards other people who have. The same thing about the second comment. I firmly believe that the reason why my friend Roanna gets so much negativity is because of jealousy. There are many women who have children and are in their mid twenties, mid thirties and can barely mind themselves. So the fact that Roanna has two (2) children and does hauls I think it bothers many. In fact, I heard from a girl. She didn't call Roanna by name and it may have been directed to us girls on Youtube on general but her remark was "Unlike these girls on Youtube I don't have money to haul all the time, I have responsibilities."Hmmmn. Makeup is how I choose to spend my money. As stated in my previous blog, I don't go out much. I don't lime (as we say in Trinidad and Tobago). I don't go to parties. So my money goes to my "responsibilities" and  the rest I spend on my leisure activity which is makeup. Some people spend $800 at a restaurant once a week. Some people go Zen (nightclub in Trinidad and Tobago), purchase drink after drink spend $2000. I am not judging them at all. They have their leisure. The money they spend on their activity I can spend on my makeup. The money people spend during Carnival, the serious party animals, I can fund my makeup fund for the ENTIRE year. The average Carnival party starts at $200 for a cheap school fete, then we have the outfit to go to said event most likely will come from places like Cache, London Clothing Company, Bluegrass etc. A pair of Levis starts at $450, then we have shoes, blouse etc. So an outfit may cost them $1000. So $1200 is being spent minimum to go to this one (1) party. With that money I can go to Wonderful World, Pennywise and purchase online for the month. This is just one party. A Carnival costume for a male is usually around at $3000-$5000. So when we add the drinks, the various parties they attend and it can tally up to minimum to $8000. $8000 is way more than I spend for the year in makeup. So why should I be judged for my habit. I mean no disrespect but even if I did spend $8000 it would be from my pocket, the bank isn't funding my recreational activity which is quite popular norm in Trinidad.

SUPPORT. Where is the support? On Youtube you can check the demographics. From the age group to the countries that view your videos. I have noticed from even way back as my first few videos, that majority of the dislikes I receive is from Trinidad and Tobago. I have more support globally than my own people. It was one (1) of the reasons why I took a break among other reasons. They say Caribbean people don't like their own? I like to think the best in the people and I hope it is not the case but the proof is there in the statistics.



Sorry for my ramblings guys.

xoxo

Comments

  1. Girl AMEN!!!!
    It's so disappointing that there is little support. But today someone msged me saying that there is drama stirring among the local youtubers ??? Really ???!?!! The madness that stirs is crazy. I'm sad though that this same drama leaves other yt women not wanting to make the effort to do vids. As I miss their vids :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts